Friday 6 February 2015

Milena's 2nd birthday!

Milena turns 2 years old today. When she woke up this morning, she was thrilled to see birthday buntings and balloons hanging on the wall. She went: "ba-roon ba-roon…A A A (referring to the alphabets on the buntings)!". She was happy to see daddy at home today with us. Of course, she was definitely excited when she got her balloons. In total, she burst two balloons. Each time a balloon burst, Milena just stood there for a few seconds and didn't seem to be afraid at all.




Sweater knitted by me last year

Around noon, we sang birthday song to her and had the cake cut. Milena was so excited when she saw the cake: "Cake cake cake!". She couldn't wait to get her piece of cake. For her birthday, I made a strawberry and peach Japanese shortcake (or sponge cake). For the cake filling in between the two pieces:

1) I spread a layer of home-made strawberry puree
2) Then I added strawberry + peach pieces
3) Spread the whipped cream on top to cover the fruit pieces

This is my 2nd attempt baking sponge cake and my first attempt making the filling and decorating the cake. I wasn't confident about the taste at all. To my surprise, it turns out to be so yummy! Milena loves it a lot that she kept asking us to give her more. This sponge cake has a light texture and the overall sweetness is just right. I was glad to have included peach too as the cake filling as it gives a fresh taste together with the strawberry pieces. Seeing Milena's happy face makes me happy too.







Taste so gooddd…

My husband decided to keep half of the cake for his family when they visit us tomorrow. Hmm, I hope they won't mind not having a complete cake.

In the early afternoon, I went running while my husband and Milena cycled next to me at the park. The sun was shining bright today despite the coldddd weather. Such a lovely day.







Around 3, the postman arrived with a big package. It's a loopfiets(push-bike) for Milena from papa! Milena had difficulty balancing herself on the push-bike, partly due to the weight of it. Well, she cried a little when she accidentally hit herself when she lost her balance, but got over it quickly.




For dinner, my husband made pancakes. After having the first piece, I didn't feel like eating anymore. I was craving for stir-fry Chinese food. Miss home. Well, I have had a simple yet wonderful day with my little family. That's enough for now :)


No comments :

Post a Comment